FAQ Organisational Matters
What language level is required for German- or English-language degree programmes?
- For our German-language degree programmes, you need German language skills at CEFR level C1 and English language skills at level B2. For our English-language degree programmes, you need English language skills at level C1. German language skills are not required. We check your language skills as part of the admission test. If insufficient knowledge of German and/or English is determined there, you may be required to take a supplementary examination in the language concerned.
When exactly do the courses take place?
- Full-time study programmes: Monday – Friday 8:00 - 17:00.
- There is one course-free day per week, which usually remains the same throughout the semester. This day varies from programme to programme and from year to year.
- Career-parallel study programmes: Monday – Thursday 18:00 – 22:00, Friday 16:20 – 22:00, Saturday 8:00 – 18:00
- There is at least one evening off each week, which usually remains the same throughout the semester. This evening varies from programme to programme and from semester to semester.
- Full-time programmes: Winter semester 02/10/2023 – 03/02/2024 I Summer semester 04/03/2024 – 06/07/2024
- Career-parallel programmes: Winter semester 04/09/2023 – 03/02/2024 I Summer semester: 12/02/2024 – 06/07/2024
When are the university holidays?
- Full-time programmes: Christmas holidays 24/12/2023 – 07/01/2024 I Semester break 05/02/2024 – 03/03/2024 I Easter holidays 23/03/2024 – 07/04/2024
- Career-parallel programmes: Christmas holidays 24/12/2023 – 07/01/2024 I Semester break 05/02/2024 – 11/02/2024 I Easter holidays 23/03/2024 – 01/04/2024
Can I change from the career-parallel to the full-time form and vice versa?
- We try to accommodate such changes, provided that the necessary study places are available in the respective year and you have completed the pre-semester.
Do I have to be employed to study career-parallel?
- No, employment is not a mandatory requirement for our career-parallel degree programmes.
Why is mandatory attendance required for some courses?
- UAS degree programmes are designed to provide scientifically profound professional training that can be completed in the allotted time. Studying takes place in comparatively small groups, with a high proportion of practical, project-oriented courses. Within this context, mandatory attendance promotes the learning progress. The team of your chosen degree programme will let you know in good time, which courses are affected by this. You will be informed in good time by the staff of your chosen degree programme as to which courses are affected by this and to what extent, and what the consequences are if you do not fulfill the attendance requirement.
I am employed. Is a traineeship* necessary?
- The compulsory traineeship required by the Federal Act on Universities of Applied Sciences Studies Act (FHStG) can be completed at the current workplace if your professional activity is relevant to the study programme. Credits can be given if your occupation includes a high degree of personal responsibility in a professional field for which the study programme prepares. These conditions can also be fulfilled by a suitable job rotation at the current employer.
*Compulsory traineeships are only required in bachelor degree programmes.
How much are the tuition fees?
- The tuition fee is the same for all students (EU/EEA citizens and students from third countries) and amounts to € 363.36 / semester (+ € 22.70 Austrian National Union of Students (ÖH) fee, for the academic year 2022/23).
What is an Austrian National Union of Students (ÖH) fee and why do I have to pay it?
- The Austrian National Union of Students (ÖH) is the statutory representation of interests of the more than 250,000 students throughout Austria. It advocates for the concerns of students at all levels.
- Since the beginning of the summer semester 2008, university of applied sciences students are also members of the Austrian National Union of Students by law. As a student, you are therefore also obliged to pay the student union fee of € 22.70 which consists of the actual fee and the special fee for the insurance (€ 0.70). The amount will be transferred by the UAS to an account of the federal representation of the Austrian National Union of Students after receipt.