Stay abroad

After all preparations have been successfully made and you have arrived at your host university (there is a green mobility grant for sustainable travelling), the semester abroad can begin. Now a few things should be taken care of:

Contact the International Office at the host university

  • At the beginning of your semester abroad it is important that you contact the International Office of your host institution. They will help you with any problems that might arise and often organise welcome or orientation events you should attend. They can also inform you about student support such as buddy programmes or language tandems as well as student organisations and facilities that you might want to use.

Certificate of arrival

  • The certificate of arrival confirms that you are present at the host university. Please have the International Office of your host university sign it and send it to the Outgoing Mobility Coordinator upon your arrival.

Changes of your learning agreement

  • It is possible that your learning agreement needs to be changed. If this happens, please get in touch with the International Office of your host university. In addition, your degree programme needs to confirm the recognition possibilities by signing your changed learning agreement. Should you need support during this process, get in touch with the Outgoing Mobility Coordinator.

CREACT Intercultural development

  • If you have signed up for the CREACT module, you will also have regular online meetings helping you to cope with intercultural challenges you might encounter. In addition to academic education, lifelong friendships and important personal developments are often formed during the time abroad. With CREACT you have the opportunity to share your experiences with other outgoing students all over the world.

Photo competition

  • UAS BFI Vienna regularly organises photo competitions where outgoing students present pictures of their international and intercultural experiences. You can win attractive prices, so make sure your take inspiring pictures during your stay abroad!

Semester abroad report

  • Throughout your semester abroad you should also reflect on your experience and collect information that might be useful for your final report that you will have to submit after your stay abroad. Please also use pictures to help your peers who want to go abroad getting informed about your host university and country.


  • Please make sure to prepare in time and thoroughly for your exams at your host university. If you fail exams for courses on your learning agreement, please contact the director of your degree programme immediately, since those courses will not be recognised. Not passing courses at your host university might also lead to a reduction of your Erasmus+ grant.

Confirmation of attendance

  • Before you leave, contact the International Office of your host university and let them sign your confirmation of attendance. This confirms how long you have been present at their university and might be crucial for receiving your grant.

Green mobility

  • Are you able to take the train or bus to get back to Vienna? There is a green mobility travel grant available, contact our Outgoing Mobility Coordinator for further information and make sure to keep your receipts.


Claus Inanger

Erasmus+ Coordinator, Outgoing Student Mobility Coordinator, Agreements Coordinator, ECTS Coordinator

+43 1 720 12 86-222