Prizes and awards in 2018
Prizes and awards in 2018
- Laura Dörfler won the 2018 Chamber of Labour Science Award for her dissertation entitled ‘Age discrimination in personnel selection decisions: A vignette study among HR managers in Austria’.
- Professor Elisabeth Springler was named one of the 20 most influential economists of the year (in a survey conducted by newspapers Die Presse, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and Neue Zürcher Zeitung), taking the title of best newcomer. She was the only representative of a university of applied sciences.
- Conducted by the Logistics and Transport Management degree programme in cooperation with AIT, Vienna University of Technology (Transportation System Planning research unit) and Logistikum (part of the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria), the inned: Innovatives Netzwerkdesign research project was presented with the Summer Award 2018 at the networking workshop organised by the Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology.
- Education/teaching project
Strategic Partnership INTQUANT: Creating an International Semester for Master Programmes in Quantitative Finance, an Erasmus+ project implemented by the Quantitative Asset and Risk Management degree programme between 2015 and 2017, was ranked one of the top three internationalisation projects in the Ars Docendi competition, and was also nominated for the 2018 Erasmus+ Award by a panel of international experts.
The university won the following awards and prizes for its research and teaching in 2018.
Springer Gabler Best Master
- Babirath, J. (2018): Forecasting volatility in equity markets using spectral time series analysis (Quantitative Asset and Risk Management degree programme)
- Fuchs, C. (2018): News & Social Media Analytics Predicting Stock Returns via Sentiment Analysis of Twitter Feeds
(Quantitative Asset and Risk Management degree programme)
Wolfgang, R. (master thesis 2017): Nachhaltigkeit im Projektmanagement – Vorteile und Implementierungsansätze (Sustainability in project management – benefits and approaches for implementation) (Project Management and Organisation degree programme)
- Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA) Austria Prize 2018
- 3rd place: E. Schindler, Internal market risk models and the transition to Basel IV (master thesis in the Quantitative Asset and Risk Management degree programme)
- Ernst Eugen Veselsky Prize 2018
- S. Güler, Wahrnehmungen und Gerechtigkeitsurteile bezogen auf die Vermögensverteilung in Österreich (Perceptions and assessments of the fairness of wealth distribution in Austria) (master thesis in the European Economy and Business Management degree programme)
- Turku Sales Competition: two students from the Technical Sales and Distribution Management degree programme reached the semi-final
Awards presented by the University of Applied Sciences BFI Vienna in 2018
Christian Malus Honorary Award 2018
Project Management and IT (bachelor theses)
- 1st place: M.E. Stefl, Herausforderungen von Nonprofit-Organisationen am Beispiel Einsatzorganisationen (Challenges facing non-profit organisations, using the example of emergency response organisations)
- 1st place: S. Moser, Kommunikation in Projekten – Übertragung von High Reliability Organisation Standards (Communication in projects – transferring high reliability organisation standards)
- 3rd place: N. Göschl, Risikomanagement im projektorientierten Unternehmen: Eine Analyse aus Sicht integrierter Managementsysteme (Risk management in project-based companies: analysis from the perspective of integrated management systems)
Project Management and Organisation (master theses)
- 1st place: A. Högl, Ausschlaggebende Faktoren für die nachhaltige Etablierung weiblicher Führungskräfte in der österreichischen Wirtschaft (Decisive factors for enabling female managers to gain a lasting foothold in the Austrian economy)
- 2nd place: V. Brade, Christliche Unternehmensführung als Erfolgsmodell (Christian management as a model for success)
- 3rd place: D. Ranzinger, Aufbau eines umfassenden Controllings am Fallbeispiel der Upstream: Wie ein strategisches Steuerungsinstrument sowie ein detailliertes Projekt- und Portfoliocontrolling bestmöglich eingeführt werden kann (Implementing a comprehensive controlling system using the example of upstream operations: how a strategic management tool and detailed project and portfolio controlling can be implemented as successfully as possible)
Our awards and prizes in 2017
- RETrans: Research and Education in Transport Logistics, a commissioned research project, won the CleanTech Cluster’s 2017 [ie:ku] innovation award following the project’s successful implementation. Implemented by the Logistics and Transport Management degree programme and funded by the Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology, the project was designed to develop innovative, sustainable training programmes for transport logistics occupations. The project was carried out in collaboration with the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria.
- Education/teaching project
Strategic Partnership INTQUANT: Creating an International Semester for Master Programmes in Quantitative Finance, an Erasmus+ project implemented by the QUANTITATIVE ASSET AND RISK MANAGEMENT degree programme between 2015 and 2017, was ranked one of the top three internationalisation projects in the Ars Docendi competition, and was also nominated for the 2018 Erasmus+ Award by a panel of international experts.
The following awards and prizes for interaction between research and teaching were presented in 2017.
- Springer Gabler Best Master 2017
In the 2017 Best Master programme organised by Springer Verlag, two graduates of UAS BFI Vienna wrote theses that were included in the top 100 application-based papers in Germany, Austria and Switzerland:
- Berger, V.A. (2017): Impact of government bonds spreads on credit derivatives: analysis of increasing spreads developments within the European area. Springer Gabler, Wiesbaden, 978-3658202187 (Quantitative Asset and Risk Management degree programme)
- R. Wolfgang: Nachhaltigkeit im Projektmanagement (Sustainability in project management) (Project Management and Organisation degree programme)
- Dr. F. Fratini, MA, MSc, a graduate of the Quantitative Asset and Risk Management master degree programme, won the 2017 Honorary Award of the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy. This award is presented to the best graduates in a given year on a university or university of applied sciences degree programme.
- S. Budnjo, BA, a student on the Logistics and Transport Management master programme, was presented with the 2017 VCÖ Austrian Mobility Award in the energy-efficient delivery vehicle category for the Essen auf Elektrolasträdern (Meals on wheels with electric freight bicycles) project initiated by Samariterbund Wien Rettung und Soziales gem. GmbH.
- The lebensviertel.blog project team (→ http://www.lebensviertel.at/) from the Project Management and IT degree programme won the pma junior award 2017. The pma junior awards are designed to support up-and-coming Austrian project managers, and are presented annually to pupils of colleges for higher vocational education and students of universities and universities of applied sciences.
Awards presented by the university in 2017
Black Sea Region Excellence Award
- N. Garbuz, MA: Externe Demokratieförderung der EU im Rahmen der Europäischen Nachbarschaftspolitik. Analyse der Instrumente und Erfolgsfaktoren am Beispiel der Ukraine (External promotion of democracy by the EU through the European Neighbourhood Policy. Analysis of instruments and success factors using the example of Ukraine) (European Economy and Business Management degree programme)
Christian Malus Honorary Award 2017
Project Management and IT programme (bachelor theses)
- 1st place: F. Kordon, Diagnostischer Einsatz von Convolutional Neural Networks: EKG-basierte Herzschlag-Klassifizierung zur Erkennung von Arrhythmie (Diagnostic application of convolutional neural networks: use of ECG-based heartbeat classification to identify arrhythmia)
- 2nd place: S. Wurglits, Data Loss Prevention – die Gefahr kommt von innen (Data loss prevention – risk comes from within)
- 3rd place: M. Dirin, Welche Projektarten eignen sich für einen hybriden Projektmanagement-Ansatz? (What types of project are suited to a hybrid project management approach?)
Project Management and Organisation programme (master theses)
- 1st place: R. Wolfgang, Nachhaltigkeit im Projektmanagement (Sustainability in project management)
- 2nd place: R.R. Spitzer, Herausforderungen und Veränderungen für ein nachhhaltiges Wachstum in Startups (Challenges and changes to promote sustainable growth in start-ups)
- 3rd place: M. Tercsak, Die praktische Anwendung von Projektmanagement-Standards im internationalen Kontext aus österreichischer Sicht (Practical application of project management standards in an international context from an Austrian perspective)
- 3rd place: J. Jaganjac, Einfluss von Pharmamarketing und Vertriebsstrukturen auf die Verschreibung von generischen Arzneimitteln in Österreich (Influence of pharmaceutical marketing and sales structures on the prescription of generic drugs in Austria)